agility terv Tervuren dog teamworks belgian Tervuren NADAC weavepoles weaves

This is a Blog tracking the Agility Trials and Tribulations of a Belgian Tervuren Dog, named Clover...

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Welcome...

Welcome to the clover blog...

Hello World.. That is always the first line programmers use, so I thought it would be appropriate as the first line I ever blog....

I just thought it was about time that I started Blogging. It is more of a journal for me than anything. I have a variety of hobbies, but am very active right now in Dog Agility with my 2 year old Belgian terv, Clover. We had our first competition this past weekend and I felt that I needed to start keeping track of what we have been doing for training and competition, etc..

If you are unfamiliar with Tervs, my website has a picture of Clover...

We also have another Belgian terv, Kira. She and my wife are a hospital therapy team and spend one Saturday every month at a local hospital.

This past weekend, clover and I had our first agility trial and we did really well. It was a NADAC trial held at Teamworks. They had 2 rings running at all times. I ran 3 runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.


The first run she ran was the jumpers and she completed a 21 second course in 14.66 seconds without any faults! The regular runs she ran on Saturday were interesting. She seemed to be distracted. I think that distracting proofing-Novice class, which I am taking now, will help. I have never seen her that distracted before. I also want to play with how I prep her for a run. I think I had her around too many people and she start getting skitsy and causing her to get the zoomies on the first regular run. We were basically eliminated from both regular runs on Sat because she missed a jump and when I called her back, she jumped the jump backwards.

To see the official results, check my web page...

On Sunday we were really lucky because the judge was generous. I thought that Clover had missed 2 contacts in the last run, but the judge never called them. Luckily, I didn't make her repeat the contact since that would have disqualified her in the gamblers. We ended up placing 2nd in the class.



Since I didn't really prepare clover for a tunnelers run, we just went out to have fun. She was very fast, so fast that I couldn’t get her to make a 90° turn. Instead she went straight into the wrong tunnel.



Overall, I am very happy and now I know what we need to work on for next trial in 2 weeks.



My wife has decided to enter Clover in Flyball class at Teamworks and said that class Monday went well and that Clover is going to be a natural.

Tonight we have Course of the Week, I will let you know how we are doing...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog DogsRule. I was looking for information on dog behavior training and came across your post Welcome... - not precisely what I was looking for related to dog behavior training but an interesting read all the same!

12:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home